It is recommended that applicants have a bachelor's degree or equivalent in a biology-related field. Students who have a M.S. degree in a related field are encouraged to apply. Previous research experience is highly desirable but not essential. Applicants are strongly urged to correspond directly with Faculty members whose work is of particular interest. Check the EEB Faculty Research website for information which will be helpful in selecting a potential faculty advisor.
- Apply to the University of Arizona’s Graduate College. Note: the Departmental Application is included in the online application.
- We prefer that you submit supplementary materials electronically at the time of your application on the Graduate College website; instructions are provided. Alternately, you may e-mail any of the materials directly to the graduate coordinator at email@example.com. Or, you may instead send hard copies directly to the department. These include:
- EEB Departmental Application ("supplemental questions"). (Note: This is included in the online application; you only need to send this separately if you are submitting your application by mail.)
- Your curriculum vitae
- Your statement of purpose (approximately 1-3 pages).
- Scanned transcripts of your college work for initial review purposes only. (Note: If your application is successful, you must provide official, sealed transcripts before you can be admitted.)
- Three letters of recommendation with cover letter from persons qualified to evaluate the applicant's scholarly potential. (Note: If you are using the online application to list your recommenders, you may complete and submit your application even though the letters are not yet sent. We will be able to download the letters when they arrive. Letters may also be sent directly to the graduate coordinator from the official e-mail address of the faculty recommender. Please include the cover letter.)
- Submit your official scores on the General test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and your official scores on the Advanced Biology GRE (advanced GRE scores are required only if Bachelor's/Master's degree is not in the biological sciences). The UA code is 4832. The EEB code is 0207. Other acceptable department codes are: 0203, 0205, 0207, 0220, 0299.
- International students only: Submit your TOEFL scores. UA code is 4832.
Please address mailed materials to the department as follows:
University of Arizona
EEB Graduate Admissions
PO Box 210088
Tucson, AZ 85721
Your application will not be considered complete until all of these items have been received. Letters of recommendation may be submitted electronically or mailed directly to the department from the recommender. Transcripts may also be sent directly from the institution.
Middle and high school teachers who desire advanced, specialized training in the biological sciences to enhance their classroom teaching methods may do so through the Master of Science in General Biology degree program (administered through the Biochemistry department).